Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A tip on the teachings than can be found here...


For those of you who are viewing this blog for the first time:

"Living with Chronic Illness: Part One"-- Chapters 1 and 2 are my own struggles with chronic illness and how it has dramatically changed my life. Chapter 3 looks at how we can try to live like "normal" people.  Chapter 4 discusses how our emotions can change due to the challenge of living with chronic illness. (Found under July's teachings)

"Living with Chronic Illness: Part Two"--Chapter 5 has us look at how our chronic illness can affect our loved ones.  Chapter 6 gives tips/ideas on how to keep working when dealing with chronic illness. Chapter 7 gets us to discover if anything good can actually come out of being chronically ill. (Also, found under July's teachings)

"Living with Severe, Chronic Pain: Part One" -- The Introduction section helps the reader to get a better understanding on how the medical community looks at chronic pain and introduces a new perspective on looking at chronic pain.  Chapter 1 is where I talk about the implantable devices Boston Scientific's Spinal Cord Stimulators) I had put in to help me deal with my severe, chronic pain.  Chapter 2 looks at the difference between being "addicted" to medicine, as opposed to being on the correct regimen one needs in order to keep their pain manageable and live with some quality of life.  It also gives some good information on finding the correct pain medication for your situation.  Chapter 3 discusses the necessity of those living with severe, chronic pain to develop a plan in order to make their situation more manageable in order to minimize the impact their pain is having on their daily lives.  Chapter 4 is a letter that you can give to others who don't understand your situation and how pain affects your life.  It has been very helpful for people to give to family members/friends so that they get a better understanding of what it's like to live with severe, chronic pain.  Chapter 5 has you identify what your own particular pain triggers are in order to devise a plan to minimize them and to help you get your pain more manageable so it doesn't impact your life so much. (The beginning of the teachings in August)

"Living with Severe, Chronic Pain: Part Two" -- Chapter 6 is where you put together your plan on how you're going to minimize your pain triggers and some other helpful tips on decreasing pain. Chapter 7 looks at the importance of controlling your pain as it can cause other secondary health conditions.  It also discusses how to have a better discussion with your doctor when talking about your pain and how you can help him/her have a better understanding of how it impacts your life on a daily basis.  Chapter 8 looks at medications that may help you deal with your severe, chronic pain and how your doctor has probably been trained to view pain medications and why he/she dispenses pain medication the way they do.

"Living with Severe, Chronic Pain: Part Three": -- Chapter 9 is about living as a person of faith who has severe, chronic pain and the challenges it can bring and how God is there to help you.

"Living with Primary, Immune Deficiency" -- talks about the rare genetic disease that I was finally diagnosed with, and gives someone with this diagnosis tips/insights on what I discovered as I went through my journey from diagnosis to treatment.

"Inspirational Readings" -- which can be found on the right hand side of this blog under the "Pages" heading, are readings that I have discovered that have personally helped me when I'm struggling with being ill and in pain.  I share them in the hope that others may also find inspiration in them.

Also note that I have written two other blogs, which can be found on the right side of this blog under "My Blog List." 



5 comments:

  1. Good morning,thank you for your encouraging words. I just said, I can't do this but I am ashamed before God and must ask His forgiveness for my lack of faith and gratitude as he daily covers me with His grace. I have MS which put me down Jan 19 2012 and I am not fully as I was, which I have accepted as my lot. My left side was pararylized and Praise God, I can walk again, talk clearly but have limited use of my left arm. I have been in remission from breast cancer going on 4 years, again a praise. Being a diabetic is causing some blockages, arterial periphreal disease, and now a colon that is suspect. A colonoscopy next week. I dislike even saying my ailments for fear of scaring away any one for they have ailments too and problems which I have learned are more significant to them than mine are. God has given me a new small group of true understanding friends and for that I am thankful. Once I was my spouse's caregiver and now he is mine. Neither like that arrangement after 58 years of marriage. Well, I have those thoughts off my chest and I am celebrating life in news ways. May your day be special in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so blessed to hear that this site has given you encouragement and some comfort. I have a couple of friends who also have MS so understand the struggles/frustrations that you are facing, on top of your other health issues. Sometimes I feel like I just can't handle being given another diagnosis and at times like that I wonder how I will be able to go on. But as you say, God in His mercy gives us what we need if we will go to Him and ask for it. At the beginning I felt rather let down by God when I started coming down with so many health problems, but now I see that He has had a use for all of this and that is to help others. How can I really help others if I'm just speaking from what I think they're "probably" dealing with, rather than having been in that kind of situation myself? Illness and pain are a double-edged coin: frustration, anger and pain on one side, yet the ability to comfort and encourage others on the other side. God bless you as you deal with all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    I have a quick question about your blog! Please email me when you get a chance.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona, I am impressed with your fortitude. Not there yet. I was diagnosed with lupus by 6 doctors at Stanford. Moved to AZ, seen many doctors, none believe me as it is seronegatve lupus. Lack of medical support has been incredibly hard. Most of my family doesn 't believe me. Pain meds being reduced due to DEA cracking down, by almost 1/2. Will be intolerable. Only have a supplementary Medicare plan. Finances our very tight, can't even afford alternative med. Though have tried many in past. Felt suicidal at times, though wouldn't. Any hope or solutions. Hard to hear God will take care of me...no harm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous: so sorry to hear that you're having problems getting the medical help you need! I can understand your frustration with the fight over your "diagnosis" and how it causes family to wonder about your "condition". Have had to be my own advocate on many occasions, even when others, even family, disagreed. Did a lot of my own research via internet and reading, which definitely helped get me on the right road. If you truly believe you have lupus, maybe you could see if there are doctors in your area that previously worked with or were trained by any of your doctors in Stanford? I have heard of some people who end up keeping their original doctor even after moving. Does require travel and looking into whether prescriptions can be filled across State lines. Praying that the Lord will not only comfort you but lead you to a doctor who will be compassionate, wise and helpful!

    ReplyDelete